Total Pageviews

Friday, February 10, 2012

SINGLE MALT WHISKY - Japanese Style!

I'm a Scotch guy and that's usually my drink of choice if I am not enjoying an excellent wine or select beer.  For Christmas, Mrs. SNarolina Foodie ordered me a copy of 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die by Ian Buxton, which I have written about before. Yamazaki 12 Year is one of the 101 to try and I had it this past week while I was in Charleston.

Yamazaki is pruduced by Suntory distillery, which was founded in 1923 in Japan. It was actually the first distillery to use copper pot stills of its kind outside of Scotland. This is the most popular whisky in all of Japan and is starting to create a following across the world.


On Tuesday evening, I stopped into the bar at FISH Restaurant to give Yamazaki  12 Year a try. I am now a new fan. This whisky is smooth and you can certainly taste the vanilla/honey flavors that pop into your mouth once you take your first sip. The honey/vanilla taste stays with you throughout and afterwards and isn't overbearing. Apparently at FISH it has developed a slight following as, once my dram was poured, the bartender had to open another bottle.

If you are a whisky drinker, I highly suggest stepping outside of the box and givingYamazaki a try.  For that whisky drinker that has everything, this would make a great unique gift, as a high quality whisky from a country not known as being a large whisky producer.

Lastly, there is also a Yamazki 18 Year Whisky. I will have to seek it out and try it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment